Programme for Strengthening democratic local governance in Sialkot
Sialkot district is spread over an area of 3,016 square kilometers with its city center located at a distance of 125 Kilometers from Lahore. The district is administratively divided into four Tehsils i.e. Sialkot, Sambrial, Daska and Pasrur having 124 Union Councils (92 rural + 32 urban) and 100 urban wards. The 26.19% of the 3.89 Million populations of the district is urban while 73.81% is rural. Approximately 5% of the population is comprised of Non-Muslims. There are 1579 villages in Sialkot. At the eve of local government elections 2015 male voters were 57.93% and 42.07 % females (15.86 % less women than men registered voters) were of the total registered voters 2,011,912.
- Mobilize forty (40) communities in Sialkot district for providing adequate spaces and enabling environment to the “Left behind Social Segments” to be active partners of local bodies electoral process.
- Sensitize the voters to take well thought out decisions while exercising their right to vote and
- Increase women voters’ turnover in respective forty (40 communities by 28 % during the next local bodies elections expected to be held during Jan-Feb 2020. (Women voters’ turnout rate is proposed to be increased up to 70% during these elections.)
- To build the capacity of sixty (60) elected representatives (Women, Non-Muslims, male & female youth, peasants and workers @ five (5) Per Union Council to be vigilant, active and effective components of local government entities.
- To equip the direct beneficiaries and relevant communities with the knowledge and skills to hold elected representatives accountable for their performance against the legally mandated roles and responsibilities.
|Staff Training||Project Launching Ceremony|
|Selection of the Communities||Addition of 20 (10 Male + 10 Female) volunteers|
|Training of volunteers||Development of Linkages|
|Project specific Face Book page & Portal in Baidarie Website||Ten (10) motivational messages will be published in five (5) local newspapers to motivate|
|Street Theatre Performances||Data Collection|
|Issuance of CNICs to women||Registration of women voters|
|Awareness raising meetings||Motivational training sessions with “Left- behind Social Segments” for encouraging and enabling them to contest elections to the local governance entities|
|Voters training sessions (20 events)||Training of Potential Election /Polling Agents|
|Facilitation for “Left- behind Social Segments” in submission of their nomination papers to contest elections to local governance entities 2019.||Campaign to increase women voters’ turn out in local bodies elections 2020|
|Election Day Activities||Capacity Development of the newly elected representatives.|
|Panel Discussions on F.M. Radio: Five (5) Panel discussions||Accountability Sessions|
|Process Documentation and Reporting:||Project Audit|